Monday, July 19, 2010

Staying slim & young-looking



Everytime, people would ask me how I maintain my body and stay slim. They also get surprised when I say my age. Last week, I met a friend, Isa's brother, and, we recognized each other from the blog, he said, you look even younger in person.

So, I figured, better share some tips I follow on staying slim and youthful looking even after giving birth to 2 and even at 40.

Of course, body size and weight would always be genetics but we all can change habits to stay slim and healthy.

One of the benefits is that you just have a lot of energy and you feel light.

Here goes...


1. For the moms out there, breastfeed! I don't know any surefire way to lose pregnancy weight as fast as breastfeeding. It contracts the uterus hence your tummy will stay flat.

It is the best milk for babies. Be patient, it's about supply and demand. I enjoyed breastfeeding tremendously, best for babies, best for you, best even for the budget.


2. I don't drink softdrinks, as in I don't. I haven't touched soda since I was in sophomore high school. That was 26 years ago. It started as a Lenten season sacrifice and after 40 days when I tried it again, it just got too strong for me. I don't like the sweet, carbonated taste. Anyone can do it, just don't get used to drinking sweet and carbonated stuff, more than looks, it's not good for the health.


3. I don't eat after 6 p.m. You've probably heard this but it's so true. Normally, we eat dinner at 5:30 p.m. After that, it's all just water for me. Unless, I have an event, I would eat but very minimal, not because I want to stay slim , I never diet, it's because my body is not used to eating after 6 p.m.

One event last week, a lady kept on telling me to eat, I said, I'm okay, I'm not hungry, she said, that's unfair, that's why you're thin!
4. Exercise and be active! I am a very active person. I don't like wasting time. Exercise is not only for your physical health but mental and emotional. Am not asking you to be a gym rat but just do your cardios and stretching and don't just laze around.

5. Water, water, water. I only drink water and room temperature not cold. Learned this when we were living in Hong Kong. I would only drink iced tea at times and never even tried drinking coffee. I remember my son was being interviewed in the British School in Bangkok and I was , of course, not around. He asked for me and teacher said, I went to get coffee. He said, My Mom doesn't drink coffee. Teacher : Tea? My son: Only when she's sick Teacher: What does she drink? My son: Water

Yeah, may be boring but it's the best way to quench my thirst and good for the skin and circulation too.

6. I sleep before 10 p.m. , around 9 p.m. normally. Even when I go to events, I'm home by 9 or 10 p.m. Nothing beats beauty sleep and I read before that the growth/beauty hormone is maximized between 10 p.m to 2 a.m. (if memory serves me right) so the cells regenerating are at its peak at these times. Hence the term beauty sleep is for real.

7. Sweets. Okay, a lot of people won't like this but I am just not into sweets. I only crave for this when it's that time of the month.

Even worse when I was living in Bangkok. My friends/neighbors were French, Japanese , they don't eat! Whenever we have our afternoon teas they have 2 bites of finger sandwiches. It was only when I got back to Manila that afternoon tea had rice & pasta, haha.

8. Don't cause air pollution. I have NEVER smoked in my life. Have not even tried. I don't succumb to peer pressure. It's bad for your health, others' health, the environment and waste of money. Causes wrinkles too. So stay away from it.

9. Clean living. I guess, what goes inside shows on the outside.

10. This one is a personal one that I do, then again, these are my tips. I don't eat pork. I just don't. I don't like the taste.

11. Eat fruits and veggies: for better complexion, better everything, it helps, if everything was organic. Hard to do but would be ideal.

12. Lastly, have a clean soul. Nothing beats having no clutter in your life, it's the best way to feel light!

You might have an impression that I don't eat, I do!!! Friends of mine and my husband can attest to how much I am capable of eating. But I guess, I still use it up so no extras are shown.
Hope you get a thing or two. As in anything else, to each his own, just some tips that hopefully might be of help!


2 comments: