Friday, March 4, 2011

Sharing my childhood biscuit

My son's snack
apple, rosquillos, dalandan juice
I just re-discovered the 70's biscuit that my Mom used to buy, rosquillos
How many of you remember this from childhood?
Ok fine, so I grew up in the 70's
You all know I already celebrated my 40th
Anyhow, a month ago, while in the grocery
Spotted the rosquillos and remembered my childhood
My kids, esp my eldest, got the Western palate
Mostly the cooking of their father
And growing up in hotels
In Bangkok, our food at home was ordered from the Room Service of the
hotel where my husband worked!
Our condo was an elevator away from the hotel
And yea, we lived in the condo connected to Gaysorn Plaza
Oh, those Bangkok years
Back to the main story
My kids have never tasted Kraft Cheddar
not my shortcoming
they just refuse
Funny how a friend of my son's had lunch here a few days back
and we had rigatoni with prawns with of course parmesan cheese
He innocently asked where we buy "real" cheese
Santi's, home for all the homesick Swiss, haha
So, it delights me when my kids like
something Filipino
and something I grew up eating
It's like a bond
and walking down memory lane
I'm passing on a tradition, trivial as it may be
The rosquillos is now a ubiquitous presence in our home
Oh yea, if you notice, the apple was peeled
I now peel apples, go figure!
And my kids really eat apples everyday
I also grew up with the saying
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"
Enjoy your snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment