Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Global Home

red vase bought in one of our road trips to Tagaytay, 2005



painting by Romulo Olazo circa 2007
coffee table from India
1930's wooden bench/couch from Bangkok, oversized back cushions custom made in Bangkok using Jim Thompson silk
curved stool from Bangkok
red chest - gift from my hubby, Hong Kong
century old bishop's chair from Rome, Italy
big red chest from China
hurricane candleholder - Villeroy & Boch, Hong Kong
candlestick from Tequila Kola, Hong Kong
rug from Turkey
armoire from India bought in Hong Kong
kerosene lamp from Vietnam
blue & white jar as a gift
all coffee table books were gifts
Art book from my children on one of my birthdays
Lofts book from our architect on my 40th bday
Jean Georges Vongerichten book for my husband from Jean Georges (they were colleagues in NY)
mango wooden vase from Bangkok
mother with sons sculpture from Lordi, Switzerland, Christmas gift from my hubby
Many people ask me where I got our stuff at home
I must say our pieces say much about our history
Even my kids feel right at home despite the many places we've lived in
Because, as my eldest cleverly put it
What's inside is the same so wherever we are, we feel right at home right away
I was never one to copy what's the latest or what's in
whether in dressing up or in interiors
I remember a friend of mine was saying
how she knows of some people who already know what's in even before they become popular
Told her, that's being trendy or fashionable
True style is more than that
Designing a home is giving it a personal touch
Something that would be reflective of the people living inside
We've collected our pieces over the years
We didn't go through the phase of buying for the sake of
We always waited til we found the right piece for us
Especially living overseas, I think my hubby saw the importance
of having a home I love since I would be staying in it most of the time
At the end of the day, these are pieces, part of memories
What really matters most is that they gave you good remembrances
and make the people in that home
Feel so much warmer just remembering
Where they've been, where they are
Without forgetting where they're headed to.
May your home always hold special memories for you.
Have a good Wednesday!

2 comments: