Friday, April 12, 2013

My friend DInggay

 with Emi Jorge
 with Billie & Carlos
 of course, Eds
 with Maricar, Rica's sister
Tada!  The birthday girl!


I got a nice surprise text a couple of weeks ago asking me to block off the date
It was from Bryan, Dinggay's loving husband
I have not seen them in ages, as in ages
I don't even know how he got hold of my number
And don't cover your ears for me saying this but they were my friends from Hong Kong
Yeah, that magical place of Hong Kong
It yields friendships

I was already settled in Hong Kong, already a mom
When my friend from UP, Jenny, and Dinggay's friend from Berkeley (I think)
told both of us to hook up
Dinggay was new in HK and starting out her married life with her investment banker hubby
While I was already quite a pro in HK life
Hey, I gave birth in that place, didn't I
I must know a thing or two

Good thing, I'm always open to people as I was so happy to have Dinggay as my friend
I would remember us burning the telephone wires talking or sometimes I would go to her or she would dine at our place, I even became close to her parents

We would go out on dates at Pacific Plaza
and there was not a year that I have not remembered her birthday

We moved, she stayed, we moved to Bangkok then again to Manila
They visited me in Bangkok
Even her parents visited me there
Then they moved
We've stayed in touch through e-mails but I only remember seeing her twice after, once in their ancestral house when her mom threw her a surprise party and another when I visited her in HK in 2005 (or was it 2004?)

As cynical as I am about technology
It has its merits
Dinggay & I have kept abreast of what life has been giving us through the internet

I have fond memories of our friendship
She was always a good audience, yeah, I would do my comedic monologues with her
And I am grateful to Bryan for re-connecting us

To Dinggay, a happy, happy birthday
I cannot tell you how glad I am to share and celebrate with you your momentous celebration
Talking and laughing with you last night just reminded me of the fun times we had together
Even though we've jumped more than a decade in age

Here's wishing you a life filled with love, happiness, and contentment knowing that God is always watching over us.
May He bless you always.
Stay connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment