Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Musings of Mrs. W



top from Hong Kong
Took a mental health day yesterday morning
was in the site early for an hour and a half
was going to buy more tiles and stuff but decided to
go to Greenbelt 5 , bought hanging lamps
So excited about this
I've been wanting these lamps for over a decade
and couldn't use them cause you need a high ceiling
And since I have super high ones
I can finally have them, yipee!
Best of all, not so expensive
as other lighting options
So, went around Greenblet 5 then Glorietta
Got myself something
I know, I know
I shouldn't be shopping for myself
but I needed a break from hardware stores
and much as I like and enjoy hardware shopping
didn't want to make life long commitments, if you know what I mean
So a shirt and a skirt after
and a shirt for my almost teenage son
Went back to the site
tried on the lamps
which the workers couldn't understand
but in awe
as they're not traditional lamps
So I heard the word "malikhain" from them, yet again
Picked up my eldest cause he goes to catechism with me
Met a mom of my student
and told me how appreciative she is
That means so much to teachers!
When I started out teaching
I was very apprehensive
then the kids got to be
rowdy
I was , everytime, asking myself
what did I get myself into?
I was starting not to like going
But then the kids started getting to know me
and from flying paper airplanes while am teaching
I have seen huge improvement in them
I teach IS kids
and it's a big challenge cause the school has diverse values
For me to be able to touch their lives
and influence the kind of person they can become
closer to the Big Boss
is just my utmost goal
I don't give homeworks which would be to memorize
beatitudes or commandments
homeworks are always about applying what we learned in real life
or making them closer to their families
Slowly, I am enjoying teaching
I have come to understand and love my students
and I feel they have come to respect and value me
That is what makes everything worth it
When people ask me why I do all these volunteer jobs
Which are often thankless jobs
I always tell them
I've been given much, this is just payback time
And honestly, the way my students are progressing
and I see their interest in learning more
I'd be crazy not to continue with what I'm doing
I could be sleeping, shopping, reading or socializing
at these times
But life for me is not about the number of hours spent
alone(though we need this)
But more so the number of hours we have touched lives and made a difference
Wednesday's becoming a favorite day for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment