Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 2, Dec 3

Slept before 2 a.m. last night
no jetlag
just conversing with my cousins and tita
sharing all the memories

So let me just tell you
I was spooked!
Around 4 a.m.
I heard the door open, I was asleep and got woken up by the sound
I heard the crisp opening of the lever
So I looked at my tita, she was asleep
No other sound of movement from outside
Then I looked at my cousin, she was asleep
had to wake her up
"Erica, Erica, someone opened the door"
But no one came in
Okay, I was officially awake and had just 2 hours of sleep

Morning came
Today's the last day of the wake
thing is here in America
there's only a schedule for viewing
in the Philippines
it's 24 hours

So morning was spent
first, hearing mass, it's first Friday
then going to , uhmm, yeah, the mall

went to Anthropologie and bought stuff for the house
funny though when I got home
my husband has called
My cousin , Donnie, told him I went shopping!

I go, "Donnie! What do you think he'll think of
I'm supposed to be here for the funeral !"

So they had a couple of laughs about me
Am glad to be of service, haha

Then went out for lunch then had to accompany
them to Nordstrom
Yeah, word is accompany
I've been a good girl , so far

Then we had the Rosary viewing
People came
Met relatives I've never met before
Or just don't remember
They all seem to know me
Saw also those that I'm always in touch with

So, there laid a man
with his friends and relatives surrounding him
talking about their own memories
talking about his life
his person
You wonder, why people only do this after

In a way, when death creates a physical separation
it also paves way for closer ties and reunions
Though physically you can't see or touch the person
the feeling that the person is present
is undeniable
Maybe, even much more present
than before

The wonders of life
that remain a mystery
And though everyone has their own interpretation of it
Its enigma is beyond what we know
It is one of those moments
that you just got to believe
Someone greater than all of us
is waiting
and hopefully, so is the reward of a good life.

Rest in peace, Papa Don.

2 comments: